Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Staying at a Family Farm in Dalarna
We stayed in my sister- and mother-in-laws old family farm in Dalarna for Midsommar. It is an old farm house that was inhabited by my mother in laws grandparents and aunts and uncles. It is shared by the descendants, its use and maintenance shared by a group of cousins. We were so lucky to get to celebrate Midsommar with a feel for old Sweden.


Let's get the important things out of the way.... There is no running water in the house. So we use this well to get water.
My mother heart has never feared anything like looking down that hole to the well....it is locked up and baby proofed I assure you. It is a long narrow way down to the water that is who knows how deep below.....novel, but requires great care.
No running water means an outhouse.
The Main House
We had electric, with microwave and burners, and coffee pot, thank goodness! But with temps in the 40'sF at night we used the wood stove for heat. It boiled water nicely, too.
SwedeGirl liked brushing her teeth in the dry sink
Cute traditional looking Dalarna farm home.
My mother in law weaves on the large old loom in housed in the barn, and made the rag rugs in the home.
Keys to the many associated buildings on the farm
We hauled water to wash dishes on the kithen counterThis cupboard reads 1844
The hearth in one of the bedrooms
Old Souvenirs of the Royal Family
SwedeGirl learned to whittle on our trip, and made a whistle with the help of her dadNear a pretty lake

2 comments:

Rose said...

Wow! Looks like so much fun! Love the cabin. It's straight out of a Carl Larsson painting.

Abby said...

After stalking your blog constantly, and giving you an award, I feel like I should actually comment on your blog. Here it goes...


OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDDD THAT FARM IS FREAKING FANTASTIC! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!

And, if you are ever selling that painted cabinet, please let me know. :)

Simply lovely. OH, what fun!

Thanks for the song too! :)